Geography of Sub-Saharan Africa
ECTS credit: 4
Lecturer(s): izr. prof. dr. Vintar Mally Katja
• Regionalization of Sub-Saharan Africa.
• Basics of region's physical geography: geological development and geomorphological features, climate, hydrogeography, soils and biomes, ecological problems and challenges in natural resources use (deforestation, desertification, use of water resources, climate change etc.).
• Historical background of the region.
• Population: its characteristics (population growth, population distribution, ethnic and religious structure, age, education and health situation) and their impact on the landscape.
• Economic geography: the role of Sub-Saharan Africa in the world economy and its economic features (agriculture, non-agricultural activities, energy and mineral resources). Poverty and contemporary development problems (debt, international trade, development aid, etc.).