Information for international students
The Department of Geography is the oldest and largest department of geography in Slovenia. It was founded in 1919 and has more than 500 students. It offers bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral programs in geography. The department has a long tradition of international cooperation and has hosted many students and lecturers from different universities.
Below is some basic information for international students who would like come on an exchange or for practical training at the Department of Geography.
Information about programs of study, enrollment requirements, applying, costs, etc. for students coming from abroad are available at:
- for undergraduate programs:
- for master’s programs:
- for doctoral programs
For further information contact the Department of Geography: (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Erasmus+ study exchanges are only possible within the framework of concluded bilateral agreements. The Department of Geography has concluded bilateral agreements with 33 universities from 16 European countries (list of currently valid agreements).
Basic information about the hosting institution:
- Name: University of Ljubljana
- Faculty/ Department: Faculty of Arts, Department of Geography
- Erasmus code: SI LJUBLJA01
- Address: Askerceva 2, 1000 Ljubljana
- Country: Slovenia
- Field of education/ISCED code: 0532 Earth sciences
- Contact person (position, name; email):
- Institutional/Faculty coordinator: Anja Golec (email@example.com)
- Departmental coordinator: Boštjan Rogelj (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Basic information about study exchanges at the University of Ljubljana in the framework of the Erasmus+ program can be found at:
- website of the International Office of the University of Ljubljana
- website of the International Office at the Faculty of Arts
In order to apply for an exchange, you will need to submit a learning agreement listing the courses you would like to take. When making your selection, please follow the suggested course calendar and guidelines. For all inquiries regarding Learning agreement please refer to the departmental coordinator Boštjan Rogelj (email@example.com).
- Course calendar for study year 2021-2022
- Course syllabus
- Bachelor's degree courses
- Master's degree courses
Choose only among courses that are taught in the semester in which you will be visiting the Department of Geography;
- Geography of Slovenia is the only subject that is taught entirely in English;
- All subjects (with the exception of Geography of Slovenia) are taught in Slovene. If you are not able to follow the lectures in Slovene, the professors will prepare an individual work program for you (this may include project work, study of materials in English, individual consultations, and so on);
- All visiting students can choose from among subjects at the first or second level of study, but you should be aware that the subjects at the second level require a certain prior knowledge of the topic;
- You can also choose from among subjects from other departments and faculties of the University of Ljubljana. A list of subjects taught in English can be viewed here. The number of places in the mentioned subjects is limited.
- If the Department of Geography is your host institution then you must select at least TWO subjects in the department.
Geography of Slovenia (for foreign students):
The course Geography of Slovenia was designed for foreign students who want to learn more about the geographical features of Slovenia. Eleven staff members of the Department of Geography participate in teaching it, with each presenting different aspects of the geography of Slovenia. The course is taught entirely in English. It is available in both the winter and summer semesters. A textbook is available to students, which you can purchase from the Faculty of Arts bookstore.
For more information about the course contact department coordinator Boštjan Rogelj (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The Department of Geography is able to provide a limited number of students with practical training under the Erasmus + program. Students who would like to complete practical training at the Department of Geography should contact the department coordinator Boštjan Rogelj (email@example.com).
CEEPUS, the Central European Exchange Program for University Studies, is a regional program that includes participating higher education institutions from Albania, Austria, Bulgaria, Bosnia and Herzegovina, the Czech Republic, Montenegro, Croatia, Kosovo, Hungary, Macedonia, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia and Serbia. Departments of geography actively collaborate in the CEEPUS network GEOREGNET.
- International office
- The coordinator of the GEOREGNET network at the Department of Geography is Boštjan Rogelj (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Predstavitveni video Oddelka za geografijo
Več utrinkov s študija na Oddelku za geografijo
Naslovna fotografija: Ivana Žigon